Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bejing - that last couple of days recap

Looks like I left off around lunch time on Wednesday.

Wednesday night I had dinner out with Melissa - we were going to try and get Indian food but it wasn't open yet - so we walked around a bit and ended up at a Thai place. We had red curry chicken, almond crusted shrimp and pork ribs with pineapple fried rice. It was delicious.

Thursday - I had basically the same thing for breakfast that I had most mornings. Bowl of cereal (but this time I put diced peaches in it), a croissant and an egg with bacon and a couple potato wedges. Lunch - Melissa and I went to the Peking Duck place not far from the office. So more duck pancakes and a tastey green veggie with weird (but good) nuts. Dinner was with Weiling - I had donkey burgers :) He ordered it first cubed and in a soy-based sauce with seasonings. He also ordered tofu, green veggie. Then we got the donkey chopped fine and served in a bread roll-like thing that was crispy on the outside and they put some peppers inside. It was really very good.

Friday - this time I had them make me an omelet. (If only I would have had them do this every day!) A bowl of cereal with fruit. Lunch - I got out late from my class so I went by myself to the place Melissa and I had gone to on Tuesday - I got the lamb pancakes again and tried the "Chinese burger." I ordered a spicey one (not on purpose) but it was very good also. Dinner was down in the market area - Melissa and I walked around a bit first and shopped. I picked up a couple last minute things and then we had Indian food. Chicken Tikka Masala,Lamb Quorma, garlic naan,  and veggie pakora and I had Mango juice for a drink :) The service was pretty bad but the food was really good.

As we were walking after dinner - we decided to splurge on a 'crepe.' Many places had these flat, circular griddle type things - they would take a batter, spread it around with this bamboo tool and then flip it - what they put inside it depended on the place you were at. At the Crepe place we saw - it was a dessert type place. Melissa got one with bananas, whipped cream and nutella. I got one with peaches, whipped cream and they put chocolate sauce inside. (yum!) After the crepe - I had a massage appointment (same place as the week before.) Again you can't beat a 1 hour - full body massage for $27. By the time I got back to the hotel it was after 10pm.

Saturday morning - I got them to make a waffle (this had not been turned on the entire time I was there and they had to heat it up when I asked.) They got this "mixture" that was very thick... it almost looked like super frozen ice cream they had to scrape out and put it in the waffle iron. (He didn't put in enough and it was like a mini waffle) It was very dry but had a good flavor. Then I tried (finally) the crepe thing they had been serving the whole time I was there (but too scared to ask for it hehe) - they made the crepe, then broke and egg over it and scraped it around (like they did to spread the crepe), then they put mu-shu sauce on it, some chopped green onions, then some fried wontons - then folded it up like a burrito. This was pretty good also.

I had to repack to get everything to fit. I was SO happy to not be in 4 layers of clothes. I wore thin sweat pants, a t-shirt and my black Nike sweatshirt (with tennis shoes) to the airport. My checked bag weighed barely over 18 kilos (just under the 20 limit). It took an hour to get to the airport (bleh) and then I immediately headed for food :) Burger King. best freaking burger ever. (At least it seemed like it :) ) Then it took an hour to get through immigration and then security. (ok so I think it was more like 35 minutes but felt like an hour.) I walked around a bit and bought a couple more little things. And then it was off to the plane.

I did actually manage to sleep for about 3 hours total. I slept for an hour and woke up for about an hour then managed to sleep for about 2. The food was "bleh" on the plane (of course.) I watched Three Musketeers, most of In Time - on their screen. On my dvd player - I watched Clash of the Titans.

In San Francisco - it took an hour+ to get through customs, get my bags and re-check them with United and get through security again. I ate a BLT(no T, with Avocado) at Gordon Birsch. Then on my delayed flight home I was in and out of sleep.

I took a nap when I got home (after I gave the boys their T-Shirts and jade figurines.) Then we went to eat at California Pizza Kitchen. I had my favorite - Tortilla Pizza (black beans, salsa, lettuce, spiced ranch and lime chicken). When we got home I cleaned out all the nasty rotted food from the refrigerator. Erik and I went to Smith's to get groceries. I still need to go to Sam's today when the boys get back with the car. By the time I got into bed it was 11p and the puppies slept with me :)

I only woke up a couple of times but managed to go right back to sleep. I hope this is a good sign for me to bounce back to the right time.

Things I won't miss about China (from my FB post)
Guys "hawking a loogey" and spitting it EVERYWHERE
Smoking in Restaurants
Clear Broth Soups
Noodles
Smog
4 layers of clothes
the bitter cold
not being able to order at a restaurants
smooshing into the subways with hundreds of others
smooshing into elevators


extras -
Bikes (and the people on them) who will run you over if you don't pay attention
The run down, littered, beat up area I had to walk to work every day in/through

Things I will miss:
I did get try many different and good foods
Most of the people I worked with there (super nice)
Not getting to see/do more touristy type things.

and that is it. The end of that adventure. I am looking forward to getting back on track with my eating and back to my home routine.

No comments: