Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Beijing Week 2 day 3

I am half way there! WEEE. It is like the hump day of all hump days. It is weird the elation I feel in knowing that I am that much closer to going home!

Yesterday was an "on my own" kind of day. I ate a mix of cereal - raisin bran/corn flakes/rice krispies - still not more than a cup. I don't drink the milk - it is full fat milk. A glass of OJ and cup of tea. I ate a pear when I got in to the office and then for lunch had a 6" subway sandwich with cheese, roast beef and turkey. Sadly I did have a cup of soda and chips. Then a Nestle equivalent to a kit kat bar in the break room caught my eye. When I left work I headed straight over to the Japanese Sushi place - it was quite busy - I forgot it was Valentine's Day. I got my normal 4 pieces of roll (mango, crab, apple) but also got a "pork and cheese" thing that was breaded and fried - I know bad choice. When I went back to the hotel I changed into my pj's, watched NCIS and ate Ritz Crackers (again another bad choice.) So today - I had 1 egg, 2 small little slices of smoked turkey, three slices of potato and 2 clementines. Not sure the plan for lunch yet - but I do plan on less rice and less fried foods.

Here are some observations from China:
The men spit... all the time. And it is always that "hocking a loogey" sound right before it. (Yes it is gross)
It is dirty here... I am not sure if it is because it is winter and no one wants to be outside cleaning. But there is trash everywhere, broken things all over. Even just in the small walk from the hotel to the office is pretty bad.
The women walk in twos and are usually holding arms or hands.
95% of the women are just what you imagine - the exotic beauties - gorgeous skin, perfect hair
The men... not so much
I have come to enjoy plain hot water - maybe because it is so cold
They have many different kinds of teas - one that I have been frequently having is from flowers - yes dried flowers in hot water - persimmon I believe it is called.
Frequently there is the smell of "sewer" sometimes in buildings sometimes outside - you never know when it will hit you.
Frequently in public restrooms you have to get your toilet paper from a dispenser outside the stall.
MANY of them DO NOT wash their hands after.

That is all for now. Hope I am not boring you out there.

No comments: