Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Week 3 - Bejing part 2

I think I have my sleep schedule down. It wasn't easy to change over to a 16 hour time difference. I can't say that I have been doing all that well on sticking to my diet either. It has been a little rougher than I expected to find food here.

Yesterday -
B - at the hotel, raisin bran, fruit, croissant and smoked meats and some cheese
L - they ordered in. It was some kind of fish, tofu, a chicken patty/nugget type thing, two types of cabbage and some onions and a thing of rice. The fish and the tofu were gross. I tried to eat them - just yuck. So I ate the patty, one of the types of cabbage and some rice. I tried a muffin thing they had in the breakroom - also gross. (so was the mango-ish oreo I tried this morning YUCK)
D - luckily a co-worker who although is Asian, is from Melbourne Australia took pity on me and took me to dinner. I can not for the life of me remember what she called it. I am not sure if it was Cantonese or something else. But the food was delicious. We had "abalone" (sp) mushrooms (they were thick mushrooms flash fried with a sweeter sauce on them,) some greens that look like maybe those long broccoli like things mixed with spices, and bamboo salad. We also had veal with a tastey sauce on it too that was served with baked apples. She got me to try a fermented rice drink - it smelled awful at first but tasted like a slightly carbonated lemonade.

It is still bitter cold here. Today I am wearing socks, knee-highs, long underwear, pants, undies (of course), shirt and to get to the office, a sweat shirt, winter coat, scarf (that has to cover the nose and mouth), gloves and hat.

I have watched through the 7th season of NCIS. It is just too cold to go out at night.

Well I am off to train my class. Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

velveetahead said...

Hello! I just read the past two days' worth of posts. I was wondering about the croissants. Are those filling? They are just full of butter and never seem to fill me up, even though they are delicious when they are fresh. I'm guessing what you find at hotels though might not be so delicious. I'm wondering if you are hungry after eating that so later you end up making poor choices since you are just starving.

It has to be hard trying to find things to eat in a foreign country. I hope you have more friends take you out to other places while you are there. How much longer are you there?

Pira said...

They are not very filling. i think I gravitate to them because they are yummy. Good point about butter filled - I will avoid them in the future. I am not hungry later though. I am not feeling hungry between meals so far - I think that is because of the fruit.
I have until the 25th. So 17 more days.