Monday, February 13, 2012

Beijing Week 2 - 2.2

I think we underestimate or take for granted having people around us that speak our language. It truly is like being on an island and you only have Wilson to speak to. Being in a foreign country not being able to speak their language very much feels like that. Hunting for food, speaking to people who often times don't speak back. (Even the ones who somewhat understand your language.) I have learned that I am far too social a person to ever to survive being stranded on a deserted island. If I didn't find a way to float off that island I may be found in a cave rocking back and forth speaking to my imaginary friends. Thank GOD for the internet, Skype, Mobile Phones and apps that somewhat help the language barrier. But still to be able to walk over to my co-workers cubes and talk about random topics will never be taken for granted again.

To be able to call up my best friend and complain about kids and jobs and the need for a massage

To hear my sons argue, ask me for the millionth time - "what's for dinner"

Although I can never fully "understand" being "deaf" or "mute" as I can still marginally communicate - it feels (what I would think is) somewhat similar.

This trip has been an adventure for sure. Thursday night sounds like I will get to try Peking Duck with the same co-worker that took me to the last adventure of Chinese Hot Pot. oh boy...

No comments: