Thursday, October 29, 2009

Couponing has impressed me yet again!

This week was Smith's week. Looking through the three main grocery store lists - Smith's had more things that caught my eye.

I had to go tonight after Girl Scouts because I am off to Portland in the morning and didn't want to leave it to the end. So when I got there... it didn't start off too well. The Gala Apples were "supposed" to be on sale for $.69 - they weren't... so I got the Golden Delicious instead (which were .69) and then they were out of the Dole Garden Salad bags that were $1 a bag. THEN they were out of the $1 Hormel Salami and Pepperoni... I was starting to get disappointed. However, I got just about everything else I had wanted, plus my usual weekly needs.

SO!
Total Bill: $333.37
Club Card: -$143.67
Coupons: - 47.25
Total Savings: -190.92
Out of pocket: $142.45
Number of Items: 110

So I definitely saved more then I spent - HURRAY! That is a $1.30 an item. That includes my milk, eggs, lunch meat, chicken at reduced price... However, to be honest, the checker didn't seem to check the coupons too closely. If something didn't ring properly he forced it through. I did manage to catch (before he forced it) a toilet paper coupon - realizing I had bought two and not three - so I stopped him for that. But as he was searching for the price to give me off for the Ricola (coupon was buy a reg Ricola get the Berry flavor free) - I realized that he had already rung and forced through the Tombstone Pizza coupons when I realized - Oops they said buy TWO get $1.50 off... I bought five, he rang five coupons. Then as he rings up the Ricola Coupon (he had done some fancy key stroke and got a print out of the cost of the Ricola - which told him that it was 2.19.) He gave me 2.19 off for each coupon... the Ricola was on sale for a $1 each - um so essentially I got ALL TEN of the Ricola FREE plus an additional .19 off.

I certainly wasn't trying to pull a fast one, I gave up my coupons as I always do and try to watch to see if they have problems. Because lord knows I am not the best most meticulous couponer and have made mistakes and will likely make them again. The checkers usually say something if they have a problem... however this guy just immediately started "fixing" them.

So winner week for me! I am off to Portland! (Which by the way... I used a free flight I earned while flying on the company dime!)

No comments: