Saturday, January 16, 2010

Shopping update 01/16/10

Great couponing week! I went very lean last week as I was a bit tight on money.

This week looking at the ads and the Coupon website list - I decided to get the best deal I had to go to two stores.

First up was Smith's they didn't have a ton I wanted/needed so it breaks down like this:
Total Bill: $80.22

Club Card: -$31.60
Coupons: - $5.50
Total Savings: - $37.10
Out of pocket: $43.12
19 items purchased - $2.27 an item.

Here I picked up 10 four-packs of Cottonelle toilet paper for 1.50 a pack. 2 L'oreal mascara, 2 cases of Aquafina and a couple other items.

Then it was off to Albertson's for the bulk of my shopping.

Total Bill: $330.43

Club Card: -$111.91
Coupons: - $15.90
Total Savings: - $127.81
Out of pocket: $202.62
114 items purchased - $1.78 an item! I got 10lbs of bonless/skinless chicken breasts for $1.49 a pound, 6lbs of ground turkey for $1.99 a pound! And 5lbs 90/10 ground sirloin for 2.99 a pound!

I also picked up some good stuff off their clearance rack - they had 20 count quart size zip locks for $1 (they have christmas deco on them), kleenex tissues for a $1 (again with the christmas deco) and some La Victoria enchilada sauce for a quarter each!

I tried very hard to avoid things that were not on sale. Unfortunately, the juice was not and one or two other things. I had coupons for Softsoap which they had on sale for $1 with the coupon I got them for .65. Also Healthy Choice Steamers were on sale for $2.49 plus I had a coupon getting another .50 off each one.

I could have kicked myself though, I had picked up La Banderita flour tortillas at Smith's for 2.39 a pack and darn it all if Guerrero (these are the only two brands that Darren like) were 10 for $10 at Albertson's! So we have enough tortillas for long while!

Overall - I think it was a good week. My freezer is stocked full of meat and I got a few staples in too.

Update on previous attempts at a few recipes
Seared Scallops - to me were yummy - family wouldn't touch them.
Coal Miner's Pasties - made straight from the recipe they were VERY bland. The turnip was actually quite good though.
I did not make home made corn dogs (thank goodness!) We had pizza for his birthday instead.

This week is a more mundane dinner planning week, chili, lemon chicken, roast etc...

No comments: