Saturday, December 12, 2009

When your original Grocery Bill is $425...

Try NOT TO PANIC!

I mean good grief - who needs $425 worth of groceries! But hey, I do have three teen age boys and a husband who tends to think he still is also.

Now before I break it down - I did have $60 worth of iTunes gift cards in there (which got me $10 off toward my next shopping trip.) So total groceries 365.51.

Albertson's
Total Bill: $425.51 (with the Gift Cards) $365.51 without
Club Card: -$114.37
Coupons: - $28.85
Total Savings: - $143.22
Out of pocket: $202.29 (Without the GC)

Total number of items - 119 (w/o GC) $1.70 an item.

So this week in addition to the usual (milk and juice - the boys go through 4 - 5 gallons in a week, at least 4 gallons of OJ ) I picked up some scallops (that were 9.99 a pound!) for a recipe I found - I will let you know if it turns out.

I picked up their beef roast for 1.99 a pound, several boxes of Cocoa Puffs, cake mix and frosting, WAY too many pillsbury bisquit/pie crust/cinnamon roll tubes, 24 ct Aquafina water, shrimp for jambalaya, steak they had on sale that I cut up for use in chili and a recipe I found called "Coal Miners Pasties." Which also called for a turnip - which I did pick up. Another I will have to let you know how it turned out. I have never had or used turnips so this should be interesting.

I have decided that some of my holiday baking needs to include cupcakes - I have over 15 boxes of cake mix - so I think my neighbors might be getting cupcakes. (They may also get cinnamon rolls - considering the ridiculous amounts of tubes I have.)

Here is a yummy thing to make - super easy. I made home made pizza the other night. I used the Betty Crocker recipe for pizza crust. (water, flour, yeast, sugar and oil I think), then in the food processor - processed a can of tomatoes - with basil, garlic and oregano (already in the can.) I pre-baked the crusts a little as per directions, poured about 1/3 to almost a half of the sauce on each of the crusts. Added browned hamburger seasoned with onion, garlic salt and pepper, pepporoni and two kinds of shredded cheese. (I was out of mozz - so I used monteray jack and mild cheddar.) I baked about 12 - 15 minutes. They LOVED it! They ate both pizzas!

This week I also made an enchilada caserole - so easy to make.
1 lb Browned hamburger with onion which I seasoned with pepper and garlic salt. Heated up refried beans to make them easier to deal with. I put a bit of canned enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 13X9 pyrex dish, put about 4.5 corn torillas on the bottom (had to break a few in half) I only let them overlap a small bit. Then took about half the refried beans and covered the tortillas. Then half of the burger and onion, half a can of diced green chilis, shredded cheese, a bit of sauce and repeated the steps for a second layer. I covered that with another layer of tortillas, sauce and cheese. Baked for about 25 minutes. Again, they loved it. Even had seconds!

So on the list for this week:
Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Chili
Jambalaya
Seared Scallops
Coal Miner Pasties
Island Chicken with a mango/pineapple salsa - thought it would be a great change to traditional "winter fare"

Josh wants me to make home made corn dogs for his birthday dinner next Sunday. I picked up corn bread mix, again I will let you know how it goes.

No comments: