Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 3 OPL

This week I emabark on my third week of eating out of the Pantry/Freezer and attempting to keep my grocery costs to $20.

Let's start with the status of last weeks meals:
Tonight - Lasagna (using the left over meat from the ravioli's last week) - This actually would have been successful if I had covered the pan with foil for the first part so it dried out a bit. I did make homemade sauce for it :)
Monday - Carnitas (using bonless rib meat and my last can of green chili enchilada sauce) - Oh my goodness! Who knew this would be a hit! I put the ribs, green enchilada sauce, onions, garlic, garlic salt a bit of water in the crock pot and let it cook all day. The meat tore apart easily when I came home - I added a bit more salt, onion, a couple dashes of red pepper, black pepper and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Served with warm flour tortillas, cheese, diced tomatoes and diced onion.
Tuesday - Green Salad with grilled chicken - I did not make this - I made the chili instead :)

I had top ramen noodles on Wednesday night (the boys have scouts on Wednesday.)
Wednesday - Chili - Always a hit but I had to make modifications. I did not have anymore cans of diced green chilis - so I cut up very fine a jalepeno. I put 3 kinds of beans, ground beef, diced onion, garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, dashes of red pepper, black pepper... I let it cook all day in the crock pot again. It was delish! served with grated cheese, diced onion (and ketchup - it was a bit spicey!)
Thursday - Ravioli - this bombed. The sauce wasn't very good and the ravioli... well they weren't very good last week either. again never making homemade again :)
Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken - the boys were off to a boy scout function so I was lazy and Darren wasn't hungry - so this didn't get made either. HOWEVER - I am using the chicken to make chicken empenadas for my family dinner tonight.

So this week my shopping list was fairly short but had to get a couple extra things (not to mention I need to go back today and get toilet paper, laundry detergent and drano. But those aren't grocery things anyway.)

Shopping list:
Diced Green Chilis
Olives (black and green)
BBQ Sauce
Ketchup
Peanut Butter
Milk
Half and Halk
Apples
Plates (disposable)
Shredded Cheese
Bell Pepper
OJ
Bread
Hamburger buns
Total - $36.37 (Green Chili's were on sale for .59 a can, Ketchup (name brand!) was cheaper than generic, shredded cheese - got store brand as it was on sale. The OJ, Milk, and creamer on sale. Got creamer instead of half and half because it was cheaper.

I immediately could have saved $5 not getting juice... but I could have bought worse things. (Smith's is doing their "Buy 10 and save" campaign! It about KILLED me.

Menu for this week:
Sunday - Chicken Empenadas (shredded chicken, spices and olives)
Monday - BBQ Beef Sandwiches (with the roast I have and that is why I needed the buns and sauce.)
Tuesday - Tacos (was out of cheese :) )
Wednesday - I haven't put anything for this day - since the boys have scouts - we usually just grab whatever is in the fridge... maybe left overs
Thursday - Chili (yes again!)
Friday - Chicken and rice caserole

Each week I do this I realize more and more that I am an impulse buyer. ITS ON SALE - I MUST BUY IT! It's the fight I have in my head as I walk through the store.

My goal was to do at least 3 weeks if not 5. Now I am thinking it 4 may be the max my freezer can handle. We will see at the end of this week. Wish me luck!

No comments: