Sunday, January 23, 2011

OPL Week 2

So week one down and starting on week 2.

I went shopping today. I spent $20.52. Can you believe it? I did up it to two gallons of milk this week (the boys were REALLY complaining.) This weeks shopping list:

2 green bell peppers
1 cucumber
2 milk
1 Simply OJ (it was actually on sale and cheaper than others)
1 loaf of bread
1 bag of shredded cheese
2 doz eggs

Meals for this week:
Tonight - Lasagna (using the left over meat from the ravioli's last week)
Monday - Carnitas (using bonless rib meat and my last can of green chili enchilada sauce)
Tuesday - Green Salad with grilled chicken
Wednesday - Chili
Thursday - Ravioli
Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken

Last week... how'd I do? Did the family like it? Well here is the breakdown...
Saturday - Homemade Ravioli - Pasta making pretty much is for the birds. I will not be doing this again. (Unless a pasta machine magically shows up at my door.)
Sunday - Chicken Pot Pie (home made) -  This turned out most excellent. Erik loved it! I had an extra to take to work for lunch. (used crossaint rolls as the top.)
Monday - Fajitas w/fresh pico de gallo - These also turned out most excellent! The boys chowed down the meat that was simply marinated in soy and worchester sauce then grilled. I forgot the pico de gallo - so I now have jalepeno's I need to find a use for.
Tuesday - Green Chili Chick Enchiladas - Another hit! I didn't realize how much my sons love these. I only made 14 (one pan) and I should have made two pans. I will keep this in mind for the future.
Wednesday - Meatloaf w/mashed potatoes - This was my first "free form" meatloaf. I always used a loaf pan before. This turned out very well with a bit of sauteed green pepper and onion added to the meat/bread crumb/seasonings. I still have a bit of this left over as well.
Thursday - Crunchy Chicken Strips (from my new Better Homes and Garden Cookbook) w/green beans - Darren added parmasean cheese to the mix and I used bread crumbs not crackers. They turned out very well - could have used a minute or two more to get a bit more crunchy - but still all gone!
Friday - Ranch Style Chicken Salad (which takes left overs from the night before) - Darren ate it. The boys did not. My guess is since they had half days and this was the last day of them - they came home and ate all day. The Girl Scouts showed up shortly after it was served and three of the four plates came back down not touched. (one of the hungrier GS ate one along with her tacos.)

Boys swore I wouldn't make it a week. I got at least 2 to go! (Being broke certainly helps!)

I never realized how difficult it would be to a) spend only $20 and b) resist the sales.

I can't begin to tell you how the Campbell's soups - 10 for $10 was calling my name or that jeez - I REALLY don't need avocado or jeez if you put back the blue cheese you really don't need you could get 2 of the shredded cheeses that the rest of the family LOVE. All those signs for what is reduced price SERIOUSLY scream my name as I walk by... I have a problem. I am a shopaholic.

No comments: