Sunday, September 20, 2009

the day after

So I went to a "Shop Smart" class yesterday. I think I am having sticker shock attack today. So as usual you have to spend money to save money right? I hope...

The whole "process" sounds GREAT! I mean if I could go to the store and buy twice as much for half the cost - well then maybe grocery shopping wouldn't make me so angry. I hate that I have to check every price, buy generic, scrimp on some and feel bad for splurging.

So - I am going to give this a try. If you would like to check out the program - the basic thing - is FREE! I know I was shocked. Basically - there is a website that checks for all the great deals. Which you can access, for free, and know what things to "stock up" on. Now if you want the SUPER BIG savings - you sign up for one of their classes and/or order a newspaper(s).

The free website is Grocery Smarts - that may take you to the NV one, but you can always navigate to where you need to go. The lady who taught our class, who, by the way, I can tell LOVES to shop using this program, has a blog also. She showed us actual receipts from local stores where she saved hundreds of dollars. Saved as least as much as she spent, if not more!

So my plan... to blog about my progress. Why am I obsessing? I truly am a shopaholic. I have no idea where all my money goes and I am hoping by getting it out of my head and to here - that maybe I will stick to it and get a better handle on things.

To start - yesterday's grocery bill - three trips.
Smith's (2) = $167.66
Sam's Club = $92.02
For a grand total of = $259.68

According to the receipt with my shopper's card - I saved $34.69 - not nearly the "saving as much as I spend" rule that the program has. But I also shopped before I went to the class.

Some of those items were for my "stock pile" and things like Milk, Juice, eggs - are the things we burn through in a week.

So here are some bonus things to know:
In Redbook Sept'09 - pg 162 - one lady posted about a site for coupons "couponsurfer.com" that looks promising. She also mentioned another site that is similar to Shop Right, but they charge a membership fee that Shop Right doesn't. Also, Shop Right has people who search sites like "Coupon Surfer" so you shouldn't have to spend a lot of time "cutting coupons."

Wish me luck.

No comments: